Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Earth Day Tote

Get on the Tote Bag bandwagon with an Earth Day tote!

You will need:
  • A tote bag (We found our's in the dollar bin at Micheal's Crafts, but you may want to shell out for a higher quality bag if you'll be using it often.)
  • Blue and green felt sheets
  • Fabric glue
  • Earth pattern
  • Circle shaped plate that will fit on bag (for tracing)
  • Black marker

How to:
    Trace around the plate to make Earth.
    The simplier the pattern, the better!
  1. Trace the plate onto the blue felt. This will be your Earth. Place blue sheet on top of green and cut circle out of both sheets of felt.
  2. Draw an Earth pattern on the green felt. Remember, the simplier the better! Cut pieces out and arrange on blue circle. When placed to your liking, glue backs with fabric glue.
  3. Glue Earth onto bag. Let dry.



Thoughts:
Who knew OnDemand had a Craft Channel? That's where I found the idea for this project. We were on our Earth Day (Earth Week) kick and we (try) to use reusable shopping bags often, so I thought this would be a fun one.  I originally thought Elliott could use this as his Library bag, but the dollar bin material is not very book friendly, so we use ours to carry lighter loads now.

The highlight of this craft (for me) was discovering that Elliott was perfectly capable of doing something I didn't think him capable of...tracing. I handed him the marker and asked him to "pose" with it so I could take a picture and he started to trace the plate himself. Lesson learned, on my part. I now always let him give something a try on his own before I step in to help.

Elliott's Evaluation:
Can we do that again? I love doing that because you can carry it on your arm. I like to carry toys in my bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment