Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Celebration Christmas Tie

Go ahead and tie one on this Christmas!


We got the inspiration for this craft from www.Disneyfamily.com as a promo for their new(ish) Christmas movie Prep and Landing. Wayne the elf wears it to celebrate his (he thinks) imminent promotion. The Disney website has a template for the Christmas tree that you can print off for those of you who are artistically challenged. (They also have side bar ads for Busty Russians who want to meet me, which I thought was highly inappropriate for a "Family" website, but let's not go there...)

What you need:
  • One sheet of green felt
  • Fabric glue
  • Embellishments (we used pom-poms and sequins)
  • Safety pin
How to:
  1. Cut tree shape out of green felt, about one foot long.
  2. Cut additional shape for "necktie" portion of tie. (Again, I suggest the template on Disney's website, but, basically it's a very thick U-shape about 1 and 1/2" in height by 4" in width.)
  3. Glue portion of felt over top part of tree, fold the ends over and glue ends down. (For those of you following my pictures, this is not the order I did it in. But you should. It will be easier to do it now so you can press down as much as you need without worrying about the embellishments on your tie.)
  4. 
    Backside of tie showing only one end glued down.
    
    Both ends glued down.
  5. Decorate tie with any embellishments you want. We used pom-poms and sequins, but you could use glitter glue, beads, ribbon, etc.
  6. Let dry and pin on.
  7. Look cool!
Thoughts:
This was so cute and very fun to make. Fabric glue and felt are not the best of friends and after trying to attach the necktie portion to the tree portion I wasn't on friendly terms with either of them. But, eventually they do dry and hold together quite well. Be generous with the glue if attaching pom-poms. Most seemed like they were hanging on by a thread. A couple of the sequins popped off after one wear, but it's an easy fix.

Elliott's Evaluation:
I wore my Christmas tie to school and my teacher's loved it. I really liked making it and I put some of my favorite colors and some of Mommy's favorite colors on it.


1 comment:

  1. How cute! See, I don't have the patience to let my kids glue and you do! What a great craft! Did you contact any of those "Busty Russians"? LOL

    ReplyDelete