Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Milk Jug Garage


If only spending time at the repair shop was really this fun!
 You will need:
  • An empty milk jug, washed and dried
  • Glue
  • Construction paper
  • Pipe cleaners
  • Marker
  • Juice box straw
  • Any additional supplies you can think to use
  • Small people and cars for playtime
How to:
  1. Stand jug upright and using scissors or craft knife, cut a large opening on one side of the jug.
  2. Decorate jug in whatever style you want. (It doesn't have to be a Garage. You can make a house, a school, a doctor's office, etc.)

What we did:
  • Elliott and I decided to make our milk jug into a auto repair shop. We started our decorating by placing a gas and an air pump on the outside, using pipe cleaner hoses. (A small hole to poke the hose through worked best in keeping the hose attached.)
  • We made construction paper "shingles" for a roof, just to liven the jug up a bit.
  • The bottom of the jug had raised ridges, so I cut a piece of cardboard to lay flat on the bottom of the jug. Another piece of cardboard became the ramp.
  • 
    A Medieval Knight fixes cars when not slaying dragons.
    
  • An empty spool became the "lifter" for the cars that were being worked on. A roll of electrical tape became a tire.
  • We punched two holes in a piece of construction paper, punched a juice box straw into the jug and threaded the paper onto the straw. Instant sign to attract business.
  • We made a couple of signs for the inside of the shop.
Thoughts:
It was really fun to do all the planning together. Elliott was very particular about what went where. We used Elmer's glue, which doesn't adhere very well to plastic, but it only takes a minute to fix any pieces that occasionally fall off. The garage got a lot of play action for a month or so before I tossed it back in the recycle bin. Considering the cost of this was almost nil, very worth it!

Elliott's Evaluation:
I really liked this a lot! The best part of making it was getting to play with it after. I like putting my guys in it. We should make this again.

3 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME!!! What a clever, fun idea! I am your newest GFC follower. I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I also wanted to invite you to link up at my TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties - I KNOW my readers would LOVE this. It opens tomorrow morning =-)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/milk-jug-garage/


    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
    featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete